upper rudder bushing or disk

Hier könnt ihr über durchgeführte Arbeiten, Erfahrungen, Probleme berichten und euch Rat bei anderen holen
Antworten
Charles Uzes

upper rudder bushing or disk

Beitrag von Charles Uzes »

Hello,

Is the upper rudder bearing flanged (does it penetrate into its aluminum support), or is it mounted entirely above the top of the rudder brake housing? ( I have a photo, but do not understand how to place it into this block.)

Chuck
'freespirit'
1985-6 construction
Dehler d631
top rudder bearing.jpg
dirty harry
Re: upper rudder bushing or disk

Beitrag von dirty harry »

Hello Charles,
it has not yet replied because your question is a little bit incomprehensible for "not native english speaker".
Please describe your problem in other words.
Ralf

Beitrag von Ralf »

Hallo Dirty Harry, an der Übersetzung bin ich auch gescheitert, bin mal gespannt...
Ralf
SY Phoenix, NL-Roermond
Duetta 94 Bau-Nr. 407-336
Lionessa-D31

Beitrag von Lionessa-D31 »

Hello,

Is the upper rudder bearing flanged (does it penetrate into its aluminum support), or is it mounted entirely above the top of the rudder brake housing? ( I have a photo, but do not understand how to place it into this block.)

Chuck

Hi Chuck
I’m a littel bit troubled by the picture you have added. I looks completely different that the one that is incorporated on my Dehler31. If you compare your position of the upper ruder bearing with the one’s posted in the earlier discussions in this forum, you will easily recognize, that your construction is unique. It seem that your upper ruder bearing is mounted separately (and more towards to the cockpit) from the aluminum beam.
Best regards
Daniel
st.liedtke

Beitrag von st.liedtke »

Hi Chuck,

to me it looks familiar, albeit somewhat discoloured. The black ring on your photo does penetrate the Alu shaft, after looseneing the four visible screws and unmounting the brake screw,one piece of plastic should become easily removable.

Cheers Stefan
Stefan Liedtke
st.liedtke@web.de
Ralf

Beitrag von Ralf »

Hallo Daniel,

das obere Ruderlager meiner 94er sieht genau so aus wie auf dem 'Chuck' Foto, Kunststoffring nur in weiss. Das obere Foto scheint mir die 32er Version zu sein, die wohl durch das Vierkantrohr geht.

Gruß Ralf
Ralf
SY Phoenix, NL-Roermond
Jolly Roger

Beitrag von Jolly Roger »

Das ist keine Version von einer Dehler 32.
Wie es aussieht stellt der Kopf der Inbus-Schraube den Ruderanschlag dar.
Auf dem Lager sind zwei deieckige "Kubbel" gegen die der Kopft der Schraube anschlägt.
Garantiert keine 32, bei den Kräften, die da auftreten können, würde der Kopft oder die Knubbel abgeschert.
Viele Grüße / Groetjes

Klaus (Dehler32)
Ralf

Beitrag von Ralf »

Du hast natürlich Recht, ich habe die Fotos aus 2 Beiträgen vertauscht. Das Foto 'oben' ist von der Duetta 94 (zumindest sieht es bei mir so aus incl. der 2 Anschlagbacken). Diese Schraube begrenzt den Radius. In dem 2. Artikel über die Ruderwelle ist ein Foto von einer Ruderwelle, die durch ein Vierkantmetall läuft. Sorry für die Verwirrung, Gruß Ralf

(die Gute friert bestimmt schön ein derzeit...)
Ralf
SY Phoenix, NL-Roermond
Charles Uzes

Many thanks to all who responded.

My boat is indeed a 1985-86 Dehler 94. The rudder post is indeed inclined towards the bow of the boat about 15 degrees, as Daniel (Zurich) had inferred, mounted forward of the aluminum beam on a plate welded to the beam. According to my owner's manual, this is how it was manufactured.

After writing in my query, I was loaned the book “Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual' by Nigel Calder, 2nd Ed. This book illustrates the construction of the upper rudder bearing and states that in this construction the bearing penetrates down the shaft as Stephan (Hamburg) had responded. This is necessary since the forces here are large. In fact, Calder warns against having any play in this bearing. If play does occur (movement of the shaft within the bearing), he recommends that the bearing be immediately replaced, as the forces there are large, otherwise, the lower bearing can fail.

So my next question is where can one purchase this bearing, or must one have it made up by a machine shop? I am going to drive down to the boat (it's in Florida) and install a temporary plastic bearing I made up and bring back the original for a local machine shop to make up a replacement. But I would much prefer to have a manufactured replacement of the original if possible.

I am going to place a clamp on the rudder post at the top of the aluminum tube exiting the cockpit floor to keep the rudder from falling out during the swap. This way my boat should not have to be removed from the water (if I am wrong I will let you know). According to what I have read, the rudder is supposed to be neutrally bouyant.

Don't worry, I will not be sailing with my homemade bearing.

Many thanks, I appreciate your help.
Chuck
st.liedtke

Beitrag von st.liedtke »

Hello Chuck,
as you may have already seen in other threads of this forum, for western baltic owners of vintage Dehlers
www.marina-grossenbrode.de is still a convenient source for spares.
Happy sailing Stefan
Stefan Liedtke
st.liedtke@web.de
Charles Uzes

Stefan,
thanks very much.

I had only seen the name Grossenbrode referred to, and had made a search. But until you posted the link I had had no success. I sent them an email today.
Last week I went to my boat in Florida (it is on the St. John's river south of Jacksonville) and installed a homemade upper rudder bearing made from, believe it or not, kitchen (hard "plastic") cutting board. It seems to be a temporary fix.
I am having a machine shop make one up from the proper material and will order one from Grossenbrode if they have one that fits. I prefer the original manufactured item.

Thanks again.
Chuck
bugs

Beitrag von bugs »

Moin,

da ich gezwungen war, mein Ruder auszubauen, entdeckte ich, dass das obere Ruderlager nicht nur verschliessen war, sondern auch die Welle schon leicht angegriffen.
Somit hat die Welle auch oben einen Schoner, eine Buchse aus VA bekommen. Das neue Lager wurde aus Messing gedreht und hat einen von mir gewünschten Ruderanschlag von 80° zu jeder Seite.
Mal gespannt, wie die pics rüberkommen
Dateianhänge
Foto-0026a.jpg
Foto-0025a.jpg
Gruß,

bugs
Antworten